Founded in 2014, Alchemy + Aim is a website development agency, specializing in helping thought leaders, entrepreneurs, and creative business owners build websites and businesses they’re proud to share with the world, so their voices and ideas can have the impact they’re meant to. We believe in accessibility and inclusivity, for the websites we build and for our people. We emphasize collaboration, co-creation, and excellence in our projects, processes, and interactions.
A FEW QUESTIONS FOR YOU:
- Do you love creating systems, because you know the magic happens when no one has to figure out how it’s done each time?
- Do you enjoy learning new platforms and technology when they have the ability to make people’s work lives easier?
- Do you have an eye for detail and believe that the small things create the experience?
- Do you love working with good people who are doing good things in the world?
- Do you believe that you can have a job you love and grow in it?
basics of the position
We’re looking for a smart business manager who knows how to create momentum with changes and can balance the needs of the team with the needs of its founder.
The role is a work-from-home position. Most of the work takes place within standard business hours. The position reports directly to the founder of the company.
We’ll be honest: there are high expectations for this position, as the person in this role needs to be able to truly take some of the responsibility for running the business off the founder’s shoulders.
Curious to know more about the role? Here are the core components:
+ You would be in charge of creating and refining systems with our team. We recognize the importance of good systems and procedures but have no interest in creating an impossible-to-read operations manual.
+ You would be responsible for ensuring our team follows the core processes and systems and adjust them as needed. Systems are only good if they’re actually used. You recognize that simply creating a system isn’t sufficient and have ways to hold team members accountable to ensure our standards are being met.
+ You would be responsible for working with the founder on new initiatives (and proposing them yourself at times) and ensuring these initiatives has a positive ROI for the business.
+ You would be responsible for facilitating the hiring process, training new hires, and assisting with the management of team members. This includes but is not limited to drafting job descriptions, conducting interviews, completing onboarding of new team members, updating contracts, and organizing team meetings.
+ You would resolve any client feedback and complaints. Miscommunication is bound to happen at times, despite everyone’s best intentions. The unexpected can happen and it would be your responsibility to handle the situation or let our CEO know what resources you need to resolve the problem.
+ You would lead the team in post-project wrap-ups. You would ensure feedback and assets were gathered, metrics were analyzed, data was gathered, and improvements to be made and lessons learned were logged to make future projects even better.
+ You would be overseeing quarterly goals for the company and for team members. This includes weekly meetings with the founder and bi-weekly meetings with team members.
+ You would be responsible for ensuring that all the work the company produces is the highest quality it can be.
+ You would help oversee the development and growth the company culture. This includes suggesting team trainings, coordinating vacations and time off, and doing one-on-one meetings with team members each month.
+ Create a monthly report that includes a summary of activities, a breakdown of what’s working well and where there are risks for the company, and recommendations for how we can leverage our strengths and “weaknesses”.
+ You would be communicating with the team regularly. We use Clickup for systems and business projects, Slack for regular communication, and Basecamp for client project management. There are also some team meetings and individual meetings.
+ You can work from anywhere. No moving for a job involved. If you’re happy where you are, stay there. If you’re unhappy, move somewhere new. This job will go with you. (If you want to spend a month working from the Italian countryside or within view of a beach in Costa Rica, there’s no reason not to as long as the internet is good — we do that sometimes too.)
+ You have a flexible schedule. While we do ask you are available at certain times, we also strive to put family first. So if you need to be with family for any reason, you can be and hours can be made up at another time.
skills & requirements
+ You have at least 2 years of experience as a business manager in a company that operates mostly online. We’re really looking for someone who can help lead this company, not just execute processes, but that is an important part of the job. You should be detail-oriented, dedicated, and optimistic.
+ You must be skilled in Clickup. We have all of our systems and business operations set up within Clickup. You need to come in, take charge, and find even more elegant ways to ensure people can use and follow our systems.
+ You have managed remote team members before. You should have familiarity with hiring and onboarding team members, as well as encouraging them and ensuring they follow systems, even from afar.
+ You have a start-up mentality and a growth mindset. We’re still growing and changing, which means sometimes you need to be in the trenches with us, assisting with new projects and client care.
+ You are empathetic but choose your actions based on logical moves. We want people who truly care to be part of this team, so they can see and understand the emotions of others. But when it comes time to make a decision, you’re proactive, not reactive, making decisions after evaluating advantages and disadvantages.
+ You are available during standard operating EST hours. We do operate mainly on EST (our CEO is in New Jersey), as do most of our clients, so you do need to be available during some standard work hours for meetings, phone calls, and other communication. (Monday mornings are particularly important for payroll processing and a weekly meeting with the CEO.)
+ This is a part-time contractor position. We value you and want you to be a long-term part of our family, but currently and for the foreseeable future, part-time involvement (approximately 12-18 hours per week) would satisfy our needs.
Experience working with the following systems is ideal:
- Google Suite
- Adobe Sign
are you the right fit?
This position IS for you if:
- You are a self-starter and take initiative with projects.
- You consider the costs to the business of software, technology, and research. You’re always looking to create situations that have a return on investment.
- You are adaptable and humble. You’re willing to explore new ideas and ways of working with other team members.
- You take radical responsibility for your actions. You will be a leader in this company and should be willing to own everything you do.
- You are comfortable managing people and dislike micromanagement in any form.
- You regularly read books to become a better manager or improve your skills or understanding of business.
- You love people. Our clients are family and we take good care of them.
- You’re always thinking about how to craft a better experience for clients while creating win-win relationships for the business.
- You are kind and a good listener. If you have magical powers for transforming an upset client into a happy one, even better. Sometimes people have bad days and they just need to be heard.
- You take pride in the work you do.
- You can handle stress well and are willing to dive in to get the job done.
- You are detailed-oriented and meticulous. We set a standard for the kind of work we produce, so this must be maintained by all team members.
- You are honest and have no tolerance for drama.
- You want to be part of a team long-term.
- You are a bit quirky. (We are too.)
This position IS NOT for you if:
- You’re looking for a “side job” for a short period of time while you grow your own business.
- You already have a lot going on, but think you could squeeze this work in.
- You’d prefer to be front-facing in a business.
- You are reactive when you make decisions or make decisions from a place of emotion.
- You have trouble getting started on tasks or creating any urgency around them.
- You are repeatedly late executing tasks.
- You look for ways to blame other people or circumstances when things go wrong.
- You dislike or have problems with regular communication.
- You believe your way is always the right way.
- You often miss details.
- You don’t know what WordPress is, or have never had a website. (Coding experience not necessary, but we need someone who understands what we do.)
While this position is remote, we are looking for a candidate in North America.
how to apply
We want a superstar to join our team, someone who we can trust to get the job done right and be a team player. If you think that’s you, we want to hear from you.
Make sure this job is the right fit for you, and make sure you’re the right fit for this job.
Check out our portfolio to see the type of projects we work on. If you’re interested in applying please fill out the form below with a cover letter in the message area and resume attached. You MUST include the following in your cover letter:
- Tell us why you’re interested in this position with us
- Share with us what you like most about managing a business
- Tell us what your two superpowers are
- Summarize in 1-2 sentences your management philosophy
- Let us know what your hourly rate (or monthly retainer) is
Qualified candidates will be contacted to schedule a call.
Please do not call us. We like our processes, particularly our application process.