who we are
Alchemy+Aim is a website development company, specializing in helping thought leaders, entrepreneurs and creative business owners.
We’re doing things differently at Alchemy+Aim, focusing on building lateral structures in the company rather than traditional hierarchical ones. Team members have all the perks that contractors have, while also being able to really contribute to the growth of the company and the direction it’s moving in. We believe that when we work and grow together, we can accomplish great things.
the basics of the back-end developer position:
+ You’d be working on custom WordPress sites. Ideally, you would be comfortable with front-end pieces as well as complex back-end ones.
+ You’d be communicating with the team regularly. We use Slack for regular communication and Basecamp for project management. There are occasionally some video chats we’ll need to do, typically via Zoom.
+ You can work from anywhere. No moving for a job involved. If you’re happy where you are, stay there. If you’re unhappy, move somewhere new. This job will go with you. (If you want to spend a month working from the Italian countryside or in a Scottish pub, more power to you.)
+ Depending upon the type of work, you’ll either get paid a flat rate on a per-project basis or hourly for any clients we have ongoing support with (particularly those for which the scope is ever-evolving).
- You know how to work with Woocommerce.
- You’re very comfortable working with Advanced Custom Fields.
- You’ve built custom Gutenberg blocks.
- You have experience with Twig, even if not in a WordPress setting.
- You are comfortable working with third party APIs like Mailchimp or Google’s APIs.
- You understand how to work with modern web hosts like WPEngine and complex web hosts like Rackspace, are skilled in working with databases directly, and are confident migrating websites to new hosts.
are you the right fit?
This job IS for you if:
- You’re available during most standard EST hours, as we do have a key client who needs support during that time.
- You believe the best code is clean, simple, and well-organized.
- You are detailed oriented and meticulous. You get letter spacing, fonts, and column widths right. And you’ll even make sure the site ends up with custom favicon.
- You get projects done on time (or early).
- You are honest and have no tolerance for drama.
- You are comfortable using Figma, Adobe XD, and Sketch to gather information from designs for development.
- You can commit to the position for at least twelve months.
Our ideal candidate is a developer who has an exacting aesthetic eye and the ability to make things so intuitive that the non savvy user can feel comfortable editing.
This job IS NOT for you if:
- You are repeatedly late getting work done.
- You dislike or have problems with regular communication.
- You prefer to start out with a pre-made theme with page builders for website development.
- You often miss details.
- You think that a 28px margin is the same thing as a 25px margin. Or that Helvetica is the same thing as Open Sans.
Most projects last between 2 and 5 weeks, depending upon the size of the project and the client feedback process.
about alchemy + aim:
Alchemy + Aim was founded by Brandi Bernoskie, a website developer who has been working with creative entrepreneurs and change makers for almost seven years. Our clients have included thought leaders, creatives, coaches, bloggers, and people playing big in the world — from Laverne Cox to Martha Beck to Judy Smith to Brené Brown. We believe in building strong long-term relationships with clients so they feel supported in their online endeavors. The same goes for the Alchemy+Aim team. This business was built entirely on referrals, so we know that it’s people who matter most — and that includes everyone who works for A+A.
The core values of Alchemy + Aim are:
- Attend to the details
- Improve how it’s done
- Make it feel like magic
This is a contract position (full-time possibilities can be discussed after a year).
how to apply
We want a superstar to join our team, someone who we can trust to get the job done right and be a team player. If you think that’s you, we want to hear from you.
Make sure this job is the right fit for you, and make sure you’re the right fit for this job.
Check out our website and portfolio to see the type of projects we work on. If you’re interested in applying please send a cover letter via the application form below and in it include the following:
- Tell us what past project you loved working on most and why
- Provide a URL for your portfolio – we want to see a custom theme you’ve developed as well as a custom plugin or other complex functionality
- Tell us what your two superpowers are
- Share your regular hourly rate
(We love good cover letters and details. Make sure you address ALL four items above in full.)
Qualified candidates will be contacted to schedule a call.
Please no phone calls, emails directly to the owner, LinkedIn connection requests or Facebook messages. Only applicants who have followed the instructions and applied via our form below will be considered.