who we are
Alchemy+Aim is a website development company, specializing in helping thought leaders, entrepreneurs and creative business owners. In five years, we’ve gone from solopreneurship to a company of 12 people.
We’re doing things differently at Alchemy+Aim, focusing on building lateral structures in the company rather than traditional hierarchical ones. Team members have all the perks that contractors have, while also being able to really contribute to the growth of the company and the direction it’s moving in. We believe that when we work and grow together, we can accomplish great things.
basics of the developer with design eye position:
+ You’d be working with pre-made WordPress themes (most of which we’ve coded) to help build websites for small businesses that are getting started.
+ You’d be communicating with the team regularly. We use Slack for regular communication and Basecamp for project management. There are occasionally some video chats we’ll need to do.
+ You can work from anywhere. No moving for a job involved. If you’re happy where you are, stay there. If you’re unhappy, move somewhere new. This job will go with you. (If you want to spend a month working from the Italian countryside or in a Scottish pub, more power to you.)
+ You decide what you want your hours to be, though we do need someone who has good availability during standard business hours for projects. You also need to communicate with the team regularly.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
This position is great for someone who is looking for experience to learn more and be part a team that will support and encourage you. You may have a background in graphic design (not required), but you most certainly have a good eye for design.
You should be able to handle at least 12-18 hours of work per week to start. Some of our contractors have opted to become full-time employees in time.
are you the right fit?
This position IS for you if:
- You believe the best code is clean, simple, and well-organized.
- You are detailed oriented and meticulous.
- You get projects done on time (or early).
- You are honest and have no tolerance for drama.
- You are empathetic and humble.
- You are steady and reliable, and take your responsibilities seriously.
- You like following a system, but also speak up when you have ideas about how the system can be improved.
- You can adapt to situations as they arise.
- You like troubleshooting, solving problems, and learning new things.
- You like working on projects for soulful and creative entrepreneurs.
- You can commit to the position for at least nine months.
Our ideal candidate is a developer who has a strong aesthetic eye and the ability to make the backend of a site intuitive so the non-savvy user feels comfortable, confident, and well taken care of.
This position IS NOT for you if:
- You are repeatedly late getting work done.
- You dislike or have problems with regular communication.
- You often miss details.
- You are rigid and unable to accept feedback.
- You cannot adapt to new systems or ways of doing things.
- You think that a 28px margin is the same thing as a 25px margin. Or that Helvetica is the same thing as Open Sans.
You will be paid on an hourly basis, every two weeks.
how to apply
We want a superstar to join our team, someone who we can trust to get the job done right and be a team player. If you think that’s you, we want to hear from you.
Make sure this job is the right fit for you, and make sure you’re the right fit for this job.
Check out our portfolio to see the type of projects we work on. If you’re interested in applying please send us a cover letter and in it include the following:
- Tell us why you’re so interested in this position with us
- Share with us where we can find your portfolio
- Tell us what your two superpowers are
- Send us your resume
(We’re details people who love good cover letters. Make sure you address ALL four items above in full.)
Qualified candidates will be contacted to schedule a call. This position will stay open until we find the right person.
Please do not call us. We like our processes, particularly our application process.