who we are
Alchemy+Aim is a website development company, specializing in helping thought leaders, entrepreneurs, and creative business owners.
We’re doing things differently at Alchemy+Aim, focusing on building lateral structures in the company rather than traditional hierarchical ones. Team members have all the perks that contractors have, while also being able to really contribute to the growth of the company and the direction it’s moving in. We believe that when we work and grow together, we can accomplish great things.
the basics of the front-end developer position:
+ You’d be communicating with the team regularly. We use Slack for regular communication and Basecamp for project management. There are occasionally some video chats we’ll need to do either via video chat.
+ You can work from anywhere. No moving for a job involved. If you’re happy where you are, stay there. If you’re unhappy, move somewhere new. This job will go with you. (If you want to spend a month working from the Italian countryside or in a Scottish pub, more power to you.)
+ You decide what you want your hours to be for projects. For technical support, we do need someone who would be available standard East Coast time work hours (9am-ish to 6pm-ish) — we do have one developer who is involved with tech support already, so there is some flexibility with timing. You will need to communicate with the team regularly.
+ You get paid an agreed-upon flat rate on a per-project basis for larger projects and hourly for support work.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- You know how to work with Woocommerce.
- You’re very comfortable working with Advanced Custom Fields.
- You understand how to work with cPanel, working with databases directly, and are confident migrating websites to new hosts.
- You can troubleshoot when a site has been hacked or simply been broken by a client who has gone too far in code.
are you the right fit?
This job IS for you if:
- You believe the best code is clean, simple, and well-organized.
- You are detailed oriented and meticulous. You get letter spacing, fonts, and column widths right. And you’ll even make sure the site ends up with custom favicon.
- You get projects done on time (or early).
- You are honest and have no tolerance for drama.
- You like working on projects for soulful and creative entrepreneurs.
- You can handle a workload of at least 2 custom projects per month. Projects vary in length, taking anywhere between 10 and 30 hours (for a skilled developer), with some larger ones taking longer.
- You are comfortable using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to gather information from designs for development.
- You can commit to the position for at least nine months.
Our ideal candidate is a developer who has an exacting aesthetic eye and the ability to make things so intuitive that the non savvy user can feel comfortable editing.
This job IS NOT for you if:
- You are repeatedly late getting work done.
- You dislike or have problems with regular communication.
- You prefer to start out with a pre-made theme with page builders for website development.
- You often miss details.
- You think that a 28px margin is the same thing as a 25px margin. Or that Helvetica is the same thing as Open Sans.
Most projects last between 4 and 10 weeks, depending upon the size of the project and the client feedback process.
about alchemy + aim:
Alchemy + Aim was founded by Brandi Bernoskie, a website developer turned strategist who has been working with creative entrepreneurs and change makers for over five years. Our clients have included thought leaders, creatives, coaches, bloggers, and people playing big in the world — from Laverne Cox to Kate Northrup to Brené Brown and beyond. We believe in building strong long-term relationships with clients so they feel supported in their online endeavors. The same goes for the Alchemy+Aim team. This business was built entirely on referrals, so we know that it’s people who matter most — and that includes everyone who works for A+A.
Most importantly, we create websites that are easy to use and intuitive for clients.
This is a contract position. Most payments are made on a per project basis.
how to apply
We want a superstar to join our team, someone who we can trust to get the job done right and be a team player. If you think that’s you, we want to hear from you.
Make sure this job is the right fit for you, and make sure you’re the right fit for this job.
Check out our website and portfolio to see the type of projects we work on. If you’re interested in applying please send a cover letter via the application form below and in it include the following:
- Tell us what past project you loved working on most and why
- Share a link to a custom WordPress site you built that uses ACF
- Share a link to a custom WordPress site you built that uses Woocommerce
- Tell us what your two superpowers are
- Provide a URL for your portfolio
- Tell us what your regular hourly rate is
(We love good cover letters and details. Make sure you address ALL six items above in full.)
Qualified candidates will be contacted about the next step.
Please no phone calls, emails directly to the owner, LinkedIn connection requests or Facebook messages. Only applicants who have followed the instructions and applied via our form below will be considered.