who we are
Alchemy+Aim is a website development company, specializing in helping thought leaders, entrepreneurs and creative business owners. In five years, we’ve gone from solopreneurship to a company of 12 people.
We’re doing things differently at Alchemy+Aim, focusing on building lateral structures in the company rather than traditional hierarchical ones. Team members have all the perks that contractors have, while also being able to really contribute to the growth of the company and the direction it’s moving in. We believe that when we work and grow together, we can accomplish great things.
basics of the developer + division coordinator position
+ You would be building WordPress sites using a pre-made theme, but with some complex customizations. We’re looking to serve business clients who need to be guided through the website process. These clients don’t need a custom website, but do need more complex functionality or customizations to meet their business needs. You must ensure content population is intuitive and easy for the client.
+ You would be responsible for small project requests. We want a team member who can handle/organize incoming more extensive technical support requests and communicate with clients.
+ You would be communicating with the team regularly. We use Slack for regular communication and Basecamp for project management. There are also some team meetings and individual meetings.
+ You can work from anywhere. No moving for a job involved. If you’re happy where you are, stay there. If you’re unhappy, move somewhere new. This job will go with you. (If you want to spend a month working from the Italian countryside or in a Scottish pub — we do that sometimes, more power to you.)
+ You decide what you want your hours to be. However, we do need someone who is available during standard operating EST hours.
+ You start out as a contractor, with the option to move to a full-time position. We want to make sure you’re the right fit for us and we’re the right fit for you. After 3 months, we’ll discuss if the move to full-time is right for you. We have a solid benefits package and lots of flexibility for our team members.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
You should have experience working with clients. You know when the client needs website advice based on their business needs and when to execute a request.
+ You should be comfortable with these tools/libraries: jQuery, Sass, a pre-compiler like Gulp, WordPress template hierarchy and functions.
+ You know how to work with these plugins: Advanced Custom Fields, Woocommerce, Gravity Forms, Search and Filter Pro, Yoast SEO.
+ You should also know how to work with hosting companies and how to properly migrate websites.
are you the right fit?
This position IS for you if:
- You are adaptable and humble. You’re willing to explore new ideas and ways of developing with other team members.
- You take radical responsibility for your actions. You will be a leader in this company, and should be willing to own everything you do.
- You enjoy researching new trends and topics. You do not get attached to your own methodology. We want people with a willingness to learn and explore new ways of doing things.
- You are detailed-oriented and meticulous. You get letter spacing, fonts, and column widths right. And you’ll even make sure the site ends up with custom favicon. We set a standard for the kind of work we produce, so this must be maintained by all team members.
- You believe the best code is clean, simple, and well-organized. Your code should be understandable and well-written. Other team members may also work on your websites, so keeping it clean is a must.
- You get projects done on time (or early).
- You are honest and have no tolerance for drama.
- You are available for 30-40 hours per week to start.
- You are comfortable using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Sketch to gather information from designs for development.
- You are looking for a long-term full-time position.
- You are a bit quirky. (We are too.)
This position IS NOT for you if:
- You are repeatedly late getting work done.
- You look for ways to blame other people or circumstances when things go wrong.
- You dislike or have problems with regular communication.
- You prefer to start out with a pre-made theme with page builders for website development.
- You believe your way is always the right way.
- You often miss details.
While this position is Remote, we are looking for a candidate in North America.
how to apply
We want a superstar to join our team, someone who we can trust to get the job done right and be a team player. If you think that’s you, we want to hear from you.
Make sure this job is the right fit for you, and make sure you’re the right fit for this job.
Check out our portfolio to see the type of projects we work on. If you’re interested in applying please email us (email@example.com) a cover letter and in it include the following:
- Tell us what past WordPress site you loved developing/working on most and why
- Include a link to a site you built that incorporates Woocommerce
- Tell us what your two superpowers are
- Show us where we can find your online portfolio
- Let us know what your hourly rate requirement is
(We’re details people who love good cover letters. Make sure you address ALL five items above.)
Qualified candidates will be contacted to schedule a call.
Please do not call us. We like our processes, particularly our application process.